MagicJack (MJ) works well for many people. However, if you introduce something as simple as a "˜router', then, MJ may have a hard time, as I have had.
When I plug my desktop directly into the cable modem, all is well. When I use a router, I cannot hear people who call me and sometimes thay cannot hear me. To fix this I'm supposed to use port forwarding. I'm not willing to re-configure my entire network for a product that is suppose to be a simple "˜plug and use'! Then what? When I go to a friends house, will I need to spend 20 minutes reconfiguring his network to be able to use a simple usb device! This is pathetic.
Bottom line is… If you do not have a router, MJ will most likely work 100%. If you have a router, perhaps 50% chance you will run into difficulties. I used "˜System Restore' to remove all that virtual CD/DVD junk that MJ installs, so now my system ais as it was before I installed that MJ useless junk. People report this messes up there burn software. I was shocked to see this, and what the heck does Voip have to do with installing a virtual CD/DVD? Of yes, Mj recommends using a separate computer for MJ!!! Wow, that's cost effective.
What's worse is that I cannot delete my credit card information. They do not allow it! I'm sure there has to be a law on the books about that. I've gone so far as to inactivate the account, which means not that to use it again I would need to pay them $19.95!!! I didn't know that at the time, but oh well, I'm not going to use it again anyway. Wow. Not a bad profit for 2 days of service and about a dozen calls of which only about 2 or 3 actually worked successfully. They still won't allow me to remove my credit card information from their systems. In fact, it now says that I owe them .33 cents! I will now need to cancel my credit card to keep them from charging me who knows what in the future.
If you run into problems, your screwed. No real support. There credit card systems are questionable, and possibly in violation of several laws. I should have known something was wrong when on the website the guy put his little girl on to sell it! Geeze… every time that page updates or gets refreshed that video starts over! Drive a nail into my temple please!
Check out a product called "˜NetTalk Duo'. It's similar to MJ, but also works on the network. It plugs directly into the router (recommended) via a network cable, or, can be used like MJ by plugging into a usb port. By plugging directly into the router you eliminate the usb issues, having to have your pc on, and, if you do have issues you can use the DMZ which would most likely resolve the issue. It's slightly more at $70 for the Duo and 1 year, and, $30 a year after. I'm ordering the Duo right after I post this.
I've actually searched the internet to problems associated with the Duo. I do find issues, but nothing like MJ! Also, most of the issues are when using it via usb. I've found posts that report the router I have does work when plugged directly into the router. I have a much better felling about Duo. Use the router, skip the usb, and save yourselves all the usb interface headaces.
Also, if you want to be tied to your PC, Google Voice has free calling to US & Canada for the remainder of 2010, and possibly into 2011. I've used it quite a bit this past week and it is remarkable clear. My family says it sounds better than my cell (Verizion & LG Dare) when I use a headset (see below).
If you want a very good headset, go to Target and get the GE Voice over Internet All-In-One Foldable Headset – Behind the neck design. Part # 95432. Its' $25 off the shelf. The mic boom is a nice metallic bendable material like a goose neck lamp. The mic boom also unplugs from the left earpiece so that you can plug it into the mic plug (round mini plug) on your PC/laptop. It also comes with two adapter cables. One to split the single plug into separate mic & speaker plugs, and another to convert to a smaller plug – a nice touch.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "I have never complained about the 4G service that I have been getting from Ooredoo Kuwait, until about the second half of 2015. Before the mass roll-out of Ooredoo's more..."
- "may have posted last BAD review in the wrong place but safe to say, IT SUCKS!1) Quality of voice is choppy AT BEST2) we were told that we would be..."
- "One of the worst communication company in terms of their service, promise and commitments. I asked Frontier to changer their service to $84.99 triple play with 75/75 internet, HD preferred..."
- "We pay $102.49 a month for 1. Plain home phone service. It comes with extra *** which we don't use. We have an answering machine and not interested in 3-way..."
- "I bought products from this company from a vendor they had in the mall. I spent $129 which was a 'great deal' but, after testing the products I thought why..."
- "2 days ago 1 of my daughters opened can of corn for dinner. It was supposed to expire: 08/31/2017. It was a nightmare to see that. it was something terrible.It..."
- "I really like this TV. I have owned it for bout 1 year now. The thing was an impulse buy when my Samsung died on me. Didn't know what to..."
- "TO: GMAC 8-2-2016 RE; 2015 Canyon Pick up vin# Dear Sirs, Having previous good..."
- "I purchased a floor model Samsung Refrigerator on 3/26/15 from the sears outlet store in Minneapolis MN. The problems started when the cashier forgot to *** an additional 5% for..."