Product: Magicjack Internet Service Clear all filters (128 of 128 reviews match)
Filter by rating
filters
Seller:
State:
City:
Product:

Magicjack in Saugus, Massachusetts - RipOff,DeceptivePractices, FCC should investigate!!!

Update by user Mar 01, 2013

They, the Magic Jack Plus Company still, left me in the dark and never hear from them again. They completed ignoring me and the money they robed me when they charged me and said 5 additional years did not happen.

I will seeking Boston, Massachusetts Attorney General to help me how to cracking down such Deceptive Practices Company and they must refund my money.

Does anyone have similar problem with the Magic Jack Plus Company?

Original review posted by user Jan 26, 2013

I'd purchased Magic Jack Plus from Micro Center in Cambridge, MA in July 2012 for $73.95 plus Tax. Registered with 5 additional years "Five Year Platinum Preferred Plan" for $99.75, and Regulatory and Compliance $4.79 in total $104.54. No problem, no issue. When travel out of USA- I took the Magic Jack Plus with landline and me phone. After arrived, I'd connect to neither Internet it was not working nor any tone. Over the course of stayed over sea 2 months, I finally got it connected and working in Sept 2012. A month later, I got no service, no tone, no email from Magic Jack Plus reason for shut off service. The number was no longer working number. I'd setup and tested Internet networks- it is working properly. To setup Magic Jack Plus is simple task, but to dealing with Magic Jack Plus Company, and representatives far difficulty for an educated persons could encounter. The online chats with Magic Jack Plus far ignorance, insulted- "how may I help you? Someone will get back to you soon- this matter is beyond my ability, etc. The stories still in the air, no one from Magic Jack Plus ever sum up the best solution for such matter in my favor yet. Magic Jack Plus representatives indicating that the unit was over usage. But the package of the unit indicating "Free Local & Long Distance Calling." It is still said that on every units selling in the USA. There are no "CAP" for using the unit. In my responding to Magic Jack Plus representatives- I am using Magic Jack Plus unit for family communications only, but that is not good enough for MJP Company. MJP tagged my unit forever (forfeited 5 years additional services and first year free of charged). I will go to Attorney General Office seeking for judgment for such deceptive practices and Rip-off 5 additional years services already paid in full. And first year free of charge once the unit purchased and registered. The unit itself-had never been defective, just the service was "shut off" by tagged the unit. While waiting for the MJP had giving me supper massive running around. I went back to Internet, re-connected the MJP and re-registered again- for second times, and it is working fine. Total cost $31.39 for 1-year service will last until 10/27/2013. What’s a tactic way of making money for MJP.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Terrence'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5540101094960X

Terrence: Hello, how may I help you?

jeff: i want to talk on the phone withe a live person.

Terrence: We use Tech Chat to better assist you. By using Tech Chat, we can send you instant upgrade links and run several diagnostic tests, that cannot be done over the telephone. We are also able to see where you are located, what OS and Internet browser you are using. Lastly we can see that your Internet connection is working too.This will provide the best Customer care experience and keep you most satisfied.

jeff: i want to talk on the phone withe a live person

jeff: ive already done chat

Terrence: We only have chat support here Jeff.

jeff: there is absolutely no way to contact anyone in a customer service dept?

Terrence: The only way to contact us here Jeff is through this chat.

jeff: I am copying this message and sending to the FCC. When a customer is dissatisfied there must be a person to talk to.

jeff: not chat

Terrence: I understand how you feel Jeff.

Terrence: But we only chat support here.

Terrence: May I know the exact nature of your problem with full details please?

Tags
  • Magic Jack Plus
folks, if MagicJack has already abused you, file a FCC complaint against MagicJack those who have not been abused yet, pls save this link. MagicJack will *** inevitably and pretty soon. https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action?form_type=2000B Pls stop them...

I have have had calls from people getting service from magic jack and their associate's. These people who call are scammers.

They say the are the IRS.

I have lookef into where the numbers come from and found it was magic jack. I am filing a complaint with the FCC.

View more comments
Tags
  • Magic Jack Plus

Magicjack in Hamilton, Ontario - Don't buy!!! - Disreputable company

If your magic jack registered the first time you try, you're in luck for a while. However it does not, you may as well toss it out. They put you "under review" for any number of *** reasons and won't allow you or anyone else to use that magic jack. I bought a "magic jack plus unit and was planning to switch to it at my next renewal. My son bought one to use as his main service for his first home. When we tried to register his unit, we used his credit card, which still had his old address on it. This happened on Aug 4th, 2012. After spending hours on a "chat" with their customer service, we determined that the credit card was the problem. We then tried another credit card and still could not get it registered. Magic Jack customer service said they would "put in a ticket" and the responsible department would send us an email. A week went by and nothing, so I contacted them by "chat" again. (there may have been other "chats" but so much time has passed that I don't remember everything) After getting absolutely nowhere again after spending a long time on this chat, they again said they would "put in a ticket" and the responsible department would send us an email. So I used my magic jack that I had bought to use myself. Possibly because we used the same email address or physical address, they put that one "under review" as well. Fast forward to now, 13 weeks later. I have had many, many "chats" with them, spent countless hours trying to get my magic jacks working, and have now come to the conclusion that it will never happen. I live in Canada and have found a Canadian alternative that provides a much better deal, with no hassles and live bodies to talk to. With freephoneline.ca I bought a Grandview HT502 off the internet for $45.00 (included shipping and taxes), then paid $50.00 plus tax for some coding from freephoneline, and now I pay nothing ever again except 2 cents per minute for US long distance and any remote area of Canada not served by the main phone companies. I doubt I'll ever pay more than a few bucks a year for that. In addition, the sound quality is better, you can even use it for fax and modem calls and the company has been around for many years. NO MORE BILLS AT ALL and great customer service. (had to use it during setup)For the people in the US, the best alternative I have found is netTalk DUO. Basically same as Magic Jack, but they have good reviews and live people to "talk" to. I suspect that Magic Jack will be out of business soon. They are really pushing the 5 year package hard, so I suspect they will get as much money in as possible, then leave their customers high and dry. I recommended them to many people and got them setup, but will now be changing them over to freephoneline.ca. I would not trust magic jack. We tried to return the second unit to Tiger Direct, but they will not accept returns for Magic Jack. Anything else they will, but not Magic Jack. Does that tell you something? 13 weeks now and not one email for either unit! New! Just found out that people in the US can use google voice with an OBItalk unit for a FREE phone line that is much better than Magic Jack. Still free US and Canada calling and amazing call handling. No yearly fees at all.You can even port your number to Google voice. I complained to BBB and Magic Jack still has not sent me an email. As I write this last bit it is Jan 17th 2013. I tried to register the Magic Jacks on Aug 4th 2012. They STILL have not sent me an email. However they did respond to the BBB. I will send you a copy of the BBB report if you like. Just email me at Joel@teleconnect.ca. The last company in the world I would deal with is now Magic Jack!

I am also an unhappy MJ purchaser. My lost $ 59.99 MJ $19.99 l year unservice.

The connection was bad, the number I got will cost my callers long distance fees, because it did not came up as long distance when I choose it, when I called their "cust. Serv." trying to get a new #, they kept me for two hours on line with messages back and forth and they pretend not to understand the situation and at the end did nothing but tell me I needed to spend another $10 in order for me to get a new #. I sent a comment to the Fed.

communications here in the US and it would be nice if everybody with a MJ issue will do the same. I believe if they get more bad comments they eventually they will do investigate this company

Hey Joel - sorry you had a problem with our company. I will put in a ticket and someone will respond shortly if you hold your breath!

Magicjack in Kalamazoo, Michigan - Wont replace defective device

I complained about poor service, drop calls, intermittent service. They said it was internet connection. I had cable company replace moden but it didnt fix the problem. I replaced phone system, didnt fix the problem. The retaining clip on device for e-net cable is broke. They said it was bad internet connection. I explained to them what I found. This has been going on for about 6 months. On dec 7 when I came home, I didnt have any phone service .it took 3 days to finally get in contact the majicjack tech support .after 11/2 hrs they told me to plug device into computer,i told them i bought so i would have to do that. they offered to replace power device but that would only fix half the problem .they dont seem to care about the problem. they want to charge me 31.95 for another year plus 9.95 for my phone number .

Magicjack in Liberty, Mississippi - Magic Jack is not to be trusted

I bought the deluxe over a year ago. i was assured it would work with my internet provider. It would not, so i brought it to my business. Tried to port my old number, it had been disconnected for a couple of months, but i was assured that they could still port my number. I questioned the *** online chat junk several times(being you cannot talk to a human being) before i let her charge my account and she assured me that my number would transfer.............idiots charged my account and they never got my number to ported. When i question them they told me they were sorry and tried to make it my fault and they wouldn't refund my money. Sorry piece of *** never has worked right. Then they automatically charged my account again after the 1st year even after i contacted them to stop the charges. I was assured that my account would not be charged...........arrrgghhhh!!! Don't use them!!!!!
Mike_mn

Back in 2010 I had a horrible experience with MJ - setup, customer support, credit card... You can find my original 2010 post by typing into the search box 'MagicJack via Router', or in Google by searching for 'MagicJack via Router - Expect trouble!'. There is some important info regarding software that MJ installs without telling you.

To compare, perform a search for 'NetTalk'. There is 1 post with 3 comments. Quite a difference from MJ's 1,982 posts!

*** I am not affiliated with NetTalk in any way. I am a satisfied customer and wish to help dissatisfied MJ customers. ***

On researching my options I discovered NetTalk, and have been using it successfully since, and am very pleased with it. a friend used it to call international to the Philippines and they said it was excellent. I use it plugged into my router, and have tested it via usb on my desktop and laptop successfully. I'm not affiliated with NetTalk, but do recommend them often. Recently, NetTalk introduced a wireless version!

MJ has also introduced a version that also plugs into a router, which should be more stable. However, it appears customer service at MJ still continues to be an issue.

NetTalk is always ahead of MJ - Customer service, service, and, quality. You can tell just by holding the product that it is far superior.

Mike_mn
@Mike_mn

Wow. PC takes out blank lines and paragraph indents!

Sorry. It looks like one long sentence.

Magicjack in Vista, California - MAGIC JACK SUCKS BIG TIME

I HAVE BEEN HAVING TROUBLE FOR A LONG TIME WITH MAGIC JACK. ONE, IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO GET ANY RESPONSE, THERE IS NO PHONE NUMBER (RED FLAG NUMBER 1), THEN IT IS OVERSEAS CUSTOMER SERVICE AS EVIDENT IN THEIR BROKEN ENGLISH AND VERY POLITE RESPONSES AFTER A LONG PERIOD OF WAITING WHILE YOUR QUESTIONS ARE APPARENTLY TRANSLATED. SERIOUSLY. WHEN I HAVE ASKED WHAT COUNTRY THEY ARE IN, IT IS IGNORED. MAGIC JACK ALWAYS HAD QUALITY ISSUES WITH HEARING, THE PHONE DOES NOT GIVE MESSAGES AT TIMES ALTHOUGH I SEE SOMEONE HAS CALLED, THE MESSAGE VOICE MAIL WILL NOT GIVE ANY AND YOU CAN'T HEAR. CUSTOMER SERVICE NO LONGER RUNS "MAGIC FIX" BECAUSE I GUESS IT IS SOMETHING THEY NO LONGER USE BUT IT IS ON MY MENU OPTION. YOU CANNOT TRY TO FIX OR RESET THIS THING, YOU HAVE TO CALL CUSTOMER CHAT SERVICE WHICH IS INSANELY SLOW AS THEY HAVE TO TRANSLATE YOUR QUESTIONS, TRULY, IT IS APPARENTLY THE CASE. WHY ELSE DO THEY TAKE 3-5 MIN. TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION? IT IS IN ENGLISH????? THEN, THE WORST CASE NOW IS THAT BESIDES THE TECHNICAL ISSUES AND NO PERSON TO CALL (JUST "CHAT") THEY ARE FREELY ADMITTING THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHARGE FOR LOCAL CALLS IF IT IS THROUGH ANOTHER LOCAL CARRIER. THIS JUST HAPPENED TO ME. THEY ARE CHARGING MY CREDITED MINUTES I BOUGHT FOR OVERSEAS CALLING AND NOW WHEN I CALL LOCALLY MAGIC JACK SAYS "THIS CALL WILL BE DEBITED FROM YOUR CREDITED PREPAID MINUTES ACCOUNT". I TRIED TO GET INFORMATION ON THIS FROM OUR OVERSEAS CUSTOMER SERVICE REP AND WAS TOLD POLITELY THAT THIS IS LEGAL FOR THEM AND REFERRED ME TO READ CLAUSE 4 OF THE MAGIC JACK CONTRACT, THAT AT ANY TIME THEY CAN REVERT TO THIS CLAUSE. I AM SICK OF THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE. I NOW BELIEVE MAGIC JACK HAS SOLD OUT AND IS OFF SHORE AND BESIDES SELLING YOUR TRACKING INFORMATION (ALSO IN SMALL PRINT THAT WHENEVER YOU PLUG THE MAGIC JACK IN, YOUR INTERNET EXPERIENCE IS TRACKED - THEY DON'T ADVERTISE THIS ASPECT.......), NOW WE ARE BEING CHARGED FOR LOCAL CALLS AND THEY DEFEND THIS. THE ADVERTISING EVERYWHERE FOR MAGIC JACK SAYS "FREE LOCAL AND LONG DISTANCE CALLING" WHICH IS A BOLD FACE LIE NOW. PERIOD. NO FALL BACK CLAUSES IN ANY CONTRACT WILL CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE THAT THIS IS NOT FRAUD. I USED TO RECOMMEND MAGIC JACK. TOO BAD I JUST PAID MY ANNUAL BILL. GOOD THING I DID NOT PAY FOR 5 YEARS AS SOON AS I GET MY ALTERNATIVE WAY UP AND RUNNING I WILL ONLY USE MY MAGIC JACK TO FINISH OFF THE PREPAID INTERNATIONAL MINUTES. NO WAY WILL I EVER RECOMMEND MAGIC JACK AGAIN. UN-AMERICAN AS ANYTHING AND SOLD OUT. PERIOD. SUCKS BIG TIME.
Loss

Magicjack in Mexico City, Capital District - Magic Jack is WORTHLESS!!!

I returned from vacation only to find out that my Magic Jack wasn't working due to the fact that I didn't renew my number. Having been with numerous phone companies over the years I never had to renew my number. This was an oversight on my account but it only got worse from here. After logging into my Magic Jack online account and submitting the $10 and change needed to renew my number I was told that my account is under review. At this point I went to online chat (the only way to "try" to get anything done) and was told they can't tell me why the review process was ordered or how long it will take to receive an e-mail from the review department. I waited for what I thought was reasonable time (3 days) when I decided to live chat again. This has gone on for nearly a month now. I decided to search the internet to see if I could fine a phone number to get a live person. After locating a phone number I went to a friends house to make the call. I was excited to hear a voice but was hung up on 5 times because they do not deal with customers nor do they know why my account is being reviewed. As a result I have been w/out phone service for nearly a month now. I have not received the e-mail from the review department and have gotten no where w/ on line chat. If I could do it over I would have never gotten rid of my Vonage.
efulfer

Well the saga continues. I went roughly 8 weeks without a phone or a resolution. After 4-5 more Live Chat conversations I realized nothing was goin to happen on Magic Jacks end. I decided to apply for a Skype number and then discontinue my Magic Jack service.

This was eye opening as well. I originally paid for 5 years of service to get a better rate. I only used Magic Jack for 1 year before things went to ***. Once again I contacted MJ via Live Chat to cancell my account and ask for a refund of the unused portion of my original payment.

I was promptly told via Live Chat that since I had my Magic Jack for over 30 days I could not receive a refund. I went on to explain that I was satisfied for the 1st year but due to the lack of customer service that left me phoneless for 8 weeks I decided to move on. The rep sent me thier refund policy which didn't apply to my situation. After going back and forth for 30 minutes she finally admitted fault on behalf of Magic Jack but unfortunately couldn't refund my money.

I asked why? Then I received a pre-written message stating that they haven't heard anything from me so the chat session has been ended...

Buyer Beware!!!

Review
#352080 Review #352080 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Magicjack in Meridian, Mississippi - The magic jack does not do what it says

The magic jack cut off my internet. Now I can't get my internet back because I live in a rural area. The magic jack therefore can't be used and I have wasted 100 dollars. They won't take it back so now I have no phone or internet service at all. I am very very upset with this whole deal. My husband's business is through the phone and now that is gone too because customers have no way to get in touch with him. I hope that someone else does not fall for this *** mess like I did
#551906

so sorry what you have gone through with magic jack. Somethings should be done about this.

You have 30 days to return this item. Plus whoever you have with internet should be able to help you get this back.

God Bless

wnight1

If you buy Magic jack .Only get it by the year .I bought the 5 year plan and I wanted to cancel it .Guess what you can not get your money back after 30 days

Magicjack in Lincoln, Nebraska - V-Tech and Magic Jack

Provide as much information as possible, you will not be able to edit your review but you will be allowed to add on to it if you create an account during the submission process.I bought a V-Tech phone and then I bought a magic jack and hooked it up to my computer and it says I have no line. How do I get a line thru magic jack or V-Tech or who? Do I get a line thru my internet service or how does this actually work?This is supposed to ave me money but it doesnot have a line to call out from.

MAGICJACK users

They provided the service they stated if you read the directions. It also says get a good INTERNET service. I have FIOS and have NEVER had a bad connection on my MAGICJACK even using FAX. I also have called all over the country. FREE. What *** thinks that an internet based phone service does not need internet????? MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /> Every device comes with instructions on setup and use. You dont even have to press "1" for english! Is it too much to expect people to READ the instructions? I have 3 devices and use them all all day long every day. PLEASE, GET A GOOD AND FAST INTERNET PROVIDER!!! And stop *** on what seems to be your own issues in reading ENGLISH!

October 29 - evening - no Magic Jack service, and their website is down. Possibly on account of the storm, but...

unreliable service isn't very useful... As well, they've changed their options: call forwarding is now no longer supported via the normal channel.

I guess they're going to be charging extra for it. Greed...

I have had magic jack plus going on 2 years; very satisfied with the service. Before buying I did research and have found that there seems to be more negative than positive feedback; my experience with the magic jack has been all positive!!!

I do have high speed internet service and have used it hook to the PC and into the outlet and have had no problems.

Please note: before canceling landline service if you are keeping your old number, make sure magic jack goes through before the cancelation of your landline. To keep your old number there was a $20.00 fee.

If I didn't know better (which I do not), I'd think you were the same person who posted as KanoJoe. The style of your email is just like it. It is my opinion that you may just be randomly posting positive comments and you work for MagicJack.

Amen Brother! I'm in the IT field so i totally get where your coming from!

People need to be more informed and know what they are buying, and what they are gettting.. ALSO KNOW WHAT ARE ARE DOING when it comes to technology. I personally do not have the MJ yet, but considering it to replace my land line. I can honestly say that I have not read the instructions nor claim to understand the full workings of the device..

However I can back you up about reading the directions. I'm pretty sure that the instructions indicate that a VALID Internet and phone line is required for the MJ Plus.

I've been told that the customer service phone numbers are easily accessible via there website once logged into your own account.

sessa

Hey jacka$$, have you even read all the complaint on this site? Clearly there are countless issues consumers have had with the product, ranging from call quality, to billing, to terrible customer service, to being blatently mislead by the company.

You know the saying "if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck..." Also, Majic Jack Plus advertises that you DON"T need a computer, only a phone line to use it. So great, you've had no problems, but many others have and to imply they're ALL wrong makes you an ***

@sessa

I heard that!! You know he's probably one of majic jacks' jack *** He works for them.

View more comments (5)