1.4K views

We tried Magic Jack for the free 30 day trial (free.... lol).

Even when it was working, there was at least a 30-60 second delay on outgoing calls, as well as incoming... you answer the phone and hear nothing (on the callers end it is still ringing, even though you have picked up). Then it just stopped working altogether. Don't even get me started on customer service, what customer service?

When we did get a live chat tech, we went back and forth for hours, with 0 resolve. We finally returned the device, with in our 30 days, so not to be charged the $50. We got delivery confirmation to prove when they received the magic jack back, and we know they received it. Well, they still charged our bank account for $50.

They got their product back and our $50, that is where the scam comes in! I called my bank, and they advised us to file a dispute once the charge clears (its still a pending transaction right now).

Hopefully we will get our money back that way. Magic Jack robbed us!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Magicjack Free Trial.

Comments

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States #560073

I've been using magic jack since 2010. It works just fine it is not a rip off.

Stop trying to get stuff for free. Don't do the free trial and they won't be able to take your money. Go to walmart and by it, then if you don't like it you can just return it and stop whining. Yes the customer service sucks.

but your only paying thirty a year. I've never had a home phone bill less the 80 a month and that was bare bones...

to forgotten #564627

I have been with the Magic Jack since 2006. It had been good untill now after ported my number last year.

they charged 19.95 plus tax came to around $22. They didnot say has a $10 yearly to keep your ported number and when you deport your old number to other carrier for $30 charge at that time. I have a balance long distance of $0.68 in my account for many years now they took my balance without tell me. I have two lines of magic my account good till 2014.

Now they changed the regular jack plan.I have my number forwarded but now I can not unforward the number.I have a OOMA also. My advice DON"T port your number to magic Jack..Port it to GOOGLE Vioce.

Is magic jack ripoff people? I say yes.

Been using MagicJack since early 2011 with only minor issues all mirroring some of the things mentioned on this thread. I was, however, able to call into conference calls that were either scheduled by me or were issued to me by clients.

Today I call into a conference call, and a robo-voice tells me that to call into conference calls, I need to PURCHASE PRE-PAID MINUTES!!

Turns out these vampires changed the terms of service in the dark of night. I pre-purchased five years of service from these theives, for which they will offer no refund.

You can't call into conference calls with a MagicJack, unless you want to pay extra to do it. Caveat Emptor

Magic Jack needs to jack up their service!

If you want an example of worst customer service then look no further! If you have a Magic Jack Plus DO NOT INSTALL THE LATEST SOFTWARE FROM THEIR SITE!

IT BRICKS your MJ +

Their customer service must be from some 3rd world country that does not understand English!!

Magic Jack... *** PRODUCT just because of your service!

#452030

MJ sent me updates that made my phone go crazy. I have windows 7.

I unintalled the program. I reinstalled the program. I right clicked the desktop shortcut to ''restore previous versions". I then went to the tab that said locate the target file.

Up came all the Magic Jack files.

I highlighted the file with the word loader in it and right-clicked it and deleted it. My phone runs perfectly, again.

#452011

I moved to another state. But I don,t Know how to change my email or address and phone number.

If you are having a ligitimate problem with any item you purchase and cannot get satisfaction from the company you purchased it from, then simply contact the Better Business Bureau in that city. It's simple, they're helpful, and the company will usually then refund you immediately

My MJ quit letting me dial within my own area code after a month I could still receive local calls but not make them. After about 5 hours over a few different chat sessions, the problem was never addressed.

Please hold while I review your previous chat(s), and then proceed as if I didn't read or understand them at all.

I have now spent almost one hour over three attempts to get my account deactivated. I was okay with the bs when it worked, glad I found out though.

Sorry for mistyped in previous post, Im still not used to my touch screen keyboard.... I miss my Blackberry.

Geezus people, really? Nothing but a bunch of whiners and cry babies.

One thing Iv'e come to notice in 20 years Iv'e spent in the computer and retail electronics industry..... You get what you pay for. Don't buy a Prius and expect BMW results... Not that Prius isnt a great car, but it's jusy not a BMW and wont do the same thing. Also folks, computers arent a couple grand anymore. Someone with half a break can build a kick *** machine for a couple hundred bucks. If you are going to invest in broadband services, lets have equipkent that can handle it.... And stop installing every pile of *** app amd resource hog PoGo game.

For $20 , magic jack is fine... Its the selective hearing disorder along with good old fashioned comsumer ignorance that plauges most products.

PS... If you have a family member serving overseas, dont bother, most countries have touble with reliable bandwidth. Also, sat coms alone will cause a half second delay due to distance. Most sats orbit at 30,000 mile altitudes.. even light takes a half a second to travel that far after passing thru ground based equipment.

Oh yeah... Use at least USB 2 for majicjack.

to Majestic12 Buffalo, New York, United States #836030

Majestic 12, You should hear yourself whining about the whiners. You talk like an arrogant know it all.

If it wasn't for the complaints people / consumers make then we'd all be getting ripped off without any knowledge of the scammers that exist.

You need to realize that there are good people out there that try to trust that people start up a business to be a necessity to people and not to scam them out of their hard working pay. Don't waste your time responding to this message because it will only prove that you are also a whiner.

please don't buy this device or you will be sorry it does not work trust me they will take your money and you will never see it back don't buy this *** its not worth it its a waste of money some one shall stop this people from being such scamers

I got the magic jack through the magic jack company under this stipulation on the infomercials...With Magic Jack you can make unlimited free calls within the USA and Canada. Magic Jack only costs $39.95 for the entire first year!

It drops to $19.95/year after that. But under the terms of service they limit you and make stipulations on your calling.... Here is the term from the magic Jack sight itself......6. Proper Use

You agree that you are responsible for your own communications and for any consequences that arise from them.

You agree that you will use the magicJack and/or magicJack Plus device and magicJack APP in compliance with all applicable local, state, national, and international laws, rules and regulations. Among other things you will not agree to, and will not authorize or encourage any third party to: (a) prevent others from using their magicJack and/or magicJack Plus devices, and/or magicJack APP (b) use the magicJack and/or magicJack Plus device or magicJack APP for any fraudulent or inappropriate purpose, or (c) remove any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices contained in or on the magicJack and/or magicJack Plus device and/or magicJack APP, including those of any of our business associates, from whom we may have licensed certain components used in the magicJack and/or magicJack Plus device and or magicJack APP. Violation of any of these obligations may result in immediate termination of this Agreement, and may subject you to state and federal penalties and other legal consequences. magicJack, LP and/or VocalTec reserves the right, but will have no obligation, to investigate your use of the magicJack and/or magicJack Plus device and/or magicJack APP in order (a) to determine whether a violation of the Agreement has occurred or (b) to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request.

magicJack, LP and/or magicJack VocalTec Ltd., and/or YMax Communications Corporation reserves the right to block calls to numbers that abuse its services such as, but not limited to, traffic stimulation numbers. If magicJack, LP and/or magicJack VocalTec Ltd., and/or YMax Communications Corporation sees excessive use, including but not limited to, a customer whose usage is twenty (20) times more than the average magicJack and/or magicJack Plus device or magicJack APP customer usage, or a customer who calls more than 50 different telephone numbers per day, or systematic or intentional misuse, it reserves the right, in our sole discretion, to terminate your use of the magicJack and/or magicJack Plus device and/or Software and/or magicJack APP immediately, and you will not be entitled to get a refund of any licensing fee or any other fee you may have paid to us.

We reserve the right to reclaim any telephone number that does not make a call for a consecutive 90 days. In the event that we reclaim a phone number and your software license is still active, you may choose another phone number.

I would like to speak to a person. I need to ask questions and need help.

I purchased a magic jack for my son becuase the ad said you no longer need a computer which he does not have. When I received the unit it said I need a computer Please help.

I purchased magicjack, did not work bought 2nd one from wal mart still did not work. had one day each.

also had my original # disconnected before i bought magicjack. paid to have same # then later saw where they said cant have same # due to disconnect. five days after i no longer had magicjack they said i have my old number.

I have tried several times to get my money back.no success. have lost 50.00.

I have to chime in too. I have had Magicjack for almost a year now, 8 months maybe.

ANyway, it works perfectly, sometimes there is a slight delay before getting a dial tone and infrequently I have to hang up and try a second time for a dial tone. THat's pretty much the only "problems" I have had with it. Other that that it's been fine. I can call anywhere in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico (if I wanted!) without having to worry about how long I talk or any additional charges.

Personally I turned off the Automatic renewal because I don't like anything being done when I am not aware, but that's me. I will renew when it gets close to the time to though.

I think many of the people with MJ problems really either have PC problems or network problems.

i was bill for unknown reason and was deducted from my account

I have had MJ for a few months now. It does drop a call every now and then, but I am not too sure whether it is my internet or the person's cell phone I am calling.

Most recent problem- a doozie. I opened up internet to find windows had installed a new service pack. MJ made me re-register before I could get back on line and MJ could not find my contact list with my regular number on it. It issued me a temporary number for 30 days.

Did it once before but came back to my number eventually. Anone else having this type problem?

My magicJack worked (poorly) for 2 years or so... this is my 2nd year of renewal.

During this time I had several problems. My contact list disappeared TWICE due to their software upgrades and their customer service/technical support is ran by a whole bunch of foreigners who can only say "unplug/restart/plug it back on". The latest is their *** new service Magictalk screen that will not go away and I cannot make/receive calls. There is no support for magicjack any longer, all magicjack websites take you to the magictalk web site.

This device is a joke, spend your money on something else.

Their way of marketing "MagicTalk" is ridiculous and only the crazies would sign up for it given all the bugs NEVER fixed on Magicjack. They've taken my renewal money and I feel bad for those who renewed it for over a year (they have 5-year packages).

You certainly have some agreeable opinions and views. Your blog provides a fresh look at the subject.