If your magic jack registered the first time you try, you're in luck for a while.However it does not, you may as well toss it out.

They put you "under review" for any number of *** reasons and won't allow you or anyone else to use that magic jack. I bought a "magic jack plus unit and was planning to switch to it at my next renewal. My son bought one to use as his main service for his first home. When we tried to register his unit, we used his credit card, which still had his old address on it.

This happened on Aug 4th, 2012. After spending hours on a "chat" with their customer service, we determined that the credit card was the problem. We then tried another credit card and still could not get it registered. Magic Jack customer service said they would "put in a ticket" and the responsible department would send us an email.

A week went by and nothing, so I contacted them by "chat" again. (there may have been other "chats" but so much time has passed that I don't remember everything) After getting absolutely nowhere again after spending a long time on this chat, they again said they would "put in a ticket" and the responsible department would send us an email. So I used my magic jack that I had bought to use myself. Possibly because we used the same email address or physical address, they put that one "under review" as well.

Fast forward to now, 13 weeks later. I have had many, many "chats" with them, spent countless hours trying to get my magic jacks working, and have now come to the conclusion that it will never happen. I live in Canada and have found a Canadian alternative that provides a much better deal, with no hassles and live bodies to talk to. With freephoneline.ca I bought a Grandview HT502 off the internet for $45.00 (included shipping and taxes), then paid $50.00 plus tax for some coding from freephoneline, and now I pay nothing ever again except 2 cents per minute for US long distance and any remote area of Canada not served by the main phone companies.

I doubt I'll ever pay more than a few bucks a year for that. In addition, the sound quality is better, you can even use it for fax and modem calls and the company has been around for many years. NO MORE BILLS AT ALL and great customer service. (had to use it during setup)For the people in the US, the best alternative I have found is netTalk DUO.

Basically same as Magic Jack, but they have good reviews and live people to "talk" to. I suspect that Magic Jack will be out of business soon. They are really pushing the 5 year package hard, so I suspect they will get as much money in as possible, then leave their customers high and dry. I recommended them to many people and got them setup, but will now be changing them over to freephoneline.ca.

I would not trust magic jack. We tried to return the second unit to Tiger Direct, but they will not accept returns for Magic Jack. Anything else they will, but not Magic Jack. Does that tell you something?

13 weeks now and not one email for either unit! New! Just found out that people in the US can use google voice with an OBItalk unit for a FREE phone line that is much better than Magic Jack. Still free US and Canada calling and amazing call handling.

No yearly fees at all.You can even port your number to Google voice. I complained to BBB and Magic Jack still has not sent me an email. As I write this last bit it is Jan 17th 2013. I tried to register the Magic Jacks on Aug 4th 2012.

They STILL have not sent me an email. However they did respond to the BBB. I will send you a copy of the BBB report if you like.

Just email me at Joel@teleconnect.ca.The last company in the world I would deal with is now Magic Jack!

Review about: Magicjack Internet Service.

Had an Experience with Magicjack?

Comments

I am also an unhappy MJ purchaser.My lost $ 59.99 MJ $19.99 l year unservice.

The connection was bad, the number I got will cost my callers long distance fees, because it did not came up as long distance when I choose it, when I called their "cust. Serv." trying to get a new #, they kept me for two hours on line with messages back and forth and they pretend not to understand the situation and at the end did nothing but tell me I needed to spend another $10 in order for me to get a new #. I sent a comment to the Fed.

communications here in the US and it would be nice if everybody with a MJ issue will do the same.I believe if they get more bad comments they eventually they will do investigate this company

New York City, New York, United States #595198

Hey Joel - sorry you had a problem with our company. I will put in a ticket and someone will respond shortly if you hold your breath!