2.7K views

My Magicjack perpetually drops calls right in the middle of a call. It frequently takes me 5 - 7 minutes to reach the correct party - then the call goes dead and I get an echo in my phone.

I have gone on line with the Magicjack Tech Reps numerous times and spent sometimes an hour or more going through suggested "fixes." The problem continues. They cannot provide me an address or e-mail where I can address the problem. I love my Magicjack WHEN IT WORKS.

But the perpetual dropped calls and inability to get them fixed are driving me nuts! Who can fix this problem?

Product or Service Mentioned: Magicjack Phone Service.

Comments

MJ drop call? Check your internet provider.

It might be intermittent on your IPS.

It could happen for few seconds. There is no pattern.

#1619006

Magic Jack sucks and they know it. Can only chat with them online.

No phone number to get to a live person.

If you chat with them eventually they will take your number and promise to call you back but they won't. Only use Magic Jack for quick calls (7minutes).

I just got my magicJack Go and calls are dropping after 15 minutes. When I reconnect, calls drop after approx 5-7 minutes.

This is very frustrating. I think I will reinstall my old MagicJack Plus. It did not drop calls but it disconnected from my new modem. MagicJack personnel told me that MagicJack Go was way better, therefore I purchased one.

Looks like a selling tactic. Will also be looking into a different VOIP, possibly NETTALK.

My Magic Jack worked great for years , but now all my calls get dropped. It could happen at 2 minutes or 20 minutes.

Typing messages back and forth to the customer service people got me nowhere. I then paid $10 extra a year to talk to a live person. They had me track my calls and note when the calls got dropped. I supplied all that information to MJ a month ago and nothing got fixed.

I'm paid up for another three years, but I have given up and just started using my cell phone for everything. The company is probably headed down the tubes as I can't remember the last time I saw a TV ad for MJ.

Having same problem with my Magic jack Go as of day one, over a month ago. Contacted tech support numerous times, and problem is still there. Thinking about buying an Ooma which is on sale this weekend at Best buys,

to Bob #1608513

Consumer feedback is also pretty negative for Ooma.

I am having same problem. I am also having problems with people not being able to make calls to me with my magic jack.

I've had similar problems. I know exactly what's going on.

The time limit for magicjack calls during the day is 15 minutes as of 3/3/2016.

The limit at night is 4 hours.

But don't believe me. Test it yourself. Follow these steps.

1. Disconnect your phone from the MJ.

2. Connect your MJ to your computer.

2. Make sure you can make a MJ call from your computer. 3.

Now call your MJ from your cell phone. 4. Later when the call disconnects, check the call log on your cell phone to see how long the connection stayed up. Note 1: Some phones draw more power from the MJ than others.

Drawing too much power from the MJ can cause a call to be dropped, or even burn out the MJ. I've done it. Note 2: If you try to connect multiple phones to your MJ, you'll burn it out. Note 3: If you want to connect the MJ to your house's phone wiring, you'll have to make a special patch cord.

A normal patch cord switches the red and green wires between the two ends.

You need a patch cord that goes straight through: red to red, green to green. Using a standard patch cord between the house wiring and your MJ will burn out the MJ.

Absecon, New Jersey, United States #581848

The subscription cost is not worth the service. Magic Jacks SUCKS !!!!!

I haven't been able to use my service in several monthe....Dropped calls. The other party can hear me but I can't hear them. NO help from Magic Jack..I've been a subscriber for the past 5 years and only until several months ago I never had a problem with MJ...

I will not renew my subscription unless these problems can be fixed.... and fixed soon..

I had the same problem, the calls would drop after approximately 5 minutes. MJ technical support could not fix the problem, however I noticed that if I did not dial the number directly, instead I selected the number stored in my MJ contact list, select send and NO DROPPED CALLS. Hope this works for you.

to Jocelyne #1400589

Jocelyne, I have had the same problems of my calls being dropped regardless of dialing from the number pad or choosing the number stored in my MJ contact list. I have had magicjack over 7 years, the strange thing is, I had no problems till about a month ago, then I had to renew it so I chose 3 years extension, then the problem started.

Exactly 7 minutes after any calls I make or receive, it goes dead. I need to get a new VOIP for I work abroad a lot and maintain my contacts in the states.

Exactly how do I fix the "PENDING ACK" problem. My MJ works Okay when I call a cell phone, but it stops working properly when I try calling a land line/home phone.

Majic Jack is providing a cost effective service that many (needless to say who) do not wish MJ to succeed;

There is little interest by service providers to make MJ calls without a problem.

A lot of money is on the line, they have been milking the public for ages and MJ is starting to show a potential dent in their revenues.

Needless to say MJ use is not supported to say the least.

Talk with your service provider e.g. BELL or Rogers; afterall they are in the home phone bussiness and really want you to use MJ

Need I say more.

#207515

Re: MagicJack dropping calls. We had the same problem where a call would normall last 5 minutes and then drop.

Called Tech Support and they made me add port 5060 & 5070 and change a number of settings...nothing worked.

We downloaded and upgraded the firmware for our Belkin type G wireless router and added port 5060 & 5070 to the windows firewall....now I just spoke for 29 minutes without it dropping the call. GREAT PHONE!

#201910

Been having the dropped calls after an upgrade, got a hold of their online tech support and after the second call, got it fixed. Turns out it was not MJ fault but the firewall not giving full access.

Many of your problems will stem from your Firewall or antivirus programs. After the problems I have had I still love MJ, hey $20 a year.

#192515

am trying to have call using my magicjack and when other parties will received my call it automatically hold and put into mode of "pending ACK" .. am looking for a solution for this matter. thank you

I had that problem and it turned out too be the SYMANTECH ANTIVIRUS. I shut it down, actually REMOVED IT, and the mj worked excellent but running background programs really do affect it.

My Mj drops calls exactly 3 min into every conversation, and to make things worse their customer service has no fix for this problem. Way to go Magic Jack wish you were a public company I would short the sh*t out of your stock.

MJ support computer connected directly to cable modem works, connected through Linksys WRT54GL router (cat5 cable) fails to handle outgoing calls. MJ status is Pending ACK with a timer running.

At 30s the call is disconnected. Spent 5 hours with various tech support, mostly MJ. MJ tech said I had to "put ports 5060 and 5070 in the router" Suspect meant allow forwarding for those ports. Called Linksys support and did that.

Checked that the ports were open using PFPortChecker.exe Still had the problem after reboots so called MJ tech support again. New tech had me punch 5 more holes in my firewall. Problem still persisted. MJ seems to be blocking TCP port 443 but all others were punched through.

Finally Al of MJ (7th or 8th tech from MJ) opened an issue with the MJ engineering group and promised a callback via email. He had me revert to original router and soft firewall/av config. Along the way MJ techsupport said variously, call your ISP and have them fix the problem, call Linksys and have them fix the problem, reload the MJ upgrade (twice), turn off your antivirus and soft firewall, and too many other shots in the dark to remember. Fact is the ISP call had been made before I called MJ and they found the problem went away when I connected direct, without the router.

The router folks helped me set up the forwarding the first time and I did it myself on subsequet requests. The MJ tech support did not make a single useful or successful suggestion and were largly ineffective.

Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand, India #122782

Sometimes people have to call me back 3 & 4 times in one conversation as the calls are constantly dropped, does anyone know what is causing this problem?

Otherwise I like the MJ but if t his problem continues I may be forced to move on.